If the ultimate goal of your brand is to be noticed and make sales (which should be), then you know that content marketing is a must. It’s a never-ending project that needs to be continuously revisited and reevaluated. It’s a tiresome project for sure, but one that pays off significantly. Now, before we can talk about content marketing quotes to help fire up the planning and creative process, let’s first define content marketing, as it’s a term that many small business builders and marketers tend to get hung up on. Defining content marketing In short, content marketing is a marketing strategy that strategic in nature. It’s focused on creating and distributing consistent, relevant, and valuable content to help attract and retain your brand’s target audience. The ultimate goal—to convert them from viewer to consumer. Content marketing consumers see your brand as more than a money-hungry machine. Instead, by providing your audience with regular content that pertains to their individual needs, you are showing them that your brand is out to help them, not simply line your own pockets with their hard-earned dollars. Now, once upon a time, content marketing used to mean print ads, tv/radio ads, and billboards. In our digital age, the options for marketing your content are endless. In fact, the top four content marketing tactics in use include social media content, case studies, blogs, and email newsletters.
Source: Content Marketing Institute Clearly, content comes in many different forms, so how does this marketing method work?
How content marketing works
Sure, creating great content is a significant part of the puzzle; however, you must have a plan to put it to good use. With so many marketing teams out there pushing their content on readers, you have to have a clearly defined strategy in place in order for your content marketing to work as you want it to. When you are putting together your content marketing strategy, you should keep the following points in mind:
- Your content should be defining consumer pain points
- You need to map out appropriate content that addresses this pain point
- You should be aligning your content to your consumer lifestyle
At this point, you should have a solid understanding of who your target audience is, and that means you know what their pain points are. Your audience members are coming to you for a solution to a problem. Your content needs to address those problems. Unfortunately, that means your content will not suit everyone’s needs, and that’s okay. Your brand should never try to market to everyone as it’s a waste of time, money, and effort. Once you’ve clearly identified those pain points, you can start mapping out different content that would help address the issues your audience members need answers to. Your content, again, can come in many different forms, from digital to print. Once you have your content mapped out, you need to make sure it fits somewhere within your customer’s lifecycle. If it doesn’t fit in the sales cycle, then it’s not serving your strategy any good.
Source: Visually Content marketing professional, Neil Patel, uses this visual to help explain the content marketing process and how your content should fit within your sales cycle. Inspiration: content marketing quotes Now that we have a solid understanding of what content marketing is and how it should fit into your overall marketing strategy, it’s time to get to work and start the planning and creation process. While we would all love to find ourselves lacking the right inspiration to get us started. Yes, even creative writers and professional marketers need a little extra something to help get us fired up. With that said, we’ve collected several content marketing quotes for both the planning and creative process to help keep you inspired for your campaigns.
Content marketing quotes to fire up your planning process
Struggling to get started with the planning process? Here are some of our favorite content marketing quotes that get us fired up:
- “It's not what you sell that matters as much as how you sell it!” — Brian Halligan, CEO & Co-Founder, HubSpot
- “The best marketing doesn't feel like marketing.” — Tom Fishburne, Founder & CEO, Marketoonist
- “To continue winning the internet marketing game, your content has to be more than just brilliant — it has to give the people consuming that content the ability to become a better version of themselves.” — Michelle StinsonRoss, Managing Director of Marketing Operations, Apogee Results
- “The majority of businessmen are incapable of original thinking because they are unable to escape from the tyranny of reason. Their imaginations are blocked.” – David Ogilvy, founder of Ogilvy & Mather, the “Father of Advertising”
- “Marketing is no longer about the stuff that you make, but about the stories you tell.” – Seth Godin, author, entrepreneur, teacher
- “Focus on how to be social, not how to do social.” – Jay Baer, best-selling author, founder of Convince & Convert
- “Content builds relationships. Relationships are built on trust. Trust drives revenue.” – Andrew Davis, author, and keynote speaker
- “I don’t want to work nonstop – that only ends in burnout – but I want to make sure I’m using my time as wisely as possible. So, I started measuring time in terms of outcome. I’d ask myself, ‘What do I get for this hour spent? What can I show for it later?’ … There may never be time for everything, but there is always time for plenty. It’s just a question of priorities.” – Jason Feifer, Entrepreneur Editor in Chief
- “Master the topic, the message, and the delivery.” — Steve Jobs, Co-Founder, Apple
- “Your brand is not for everyone. It isn’t. It’s for the people who want something you can help them get, who value the same things you do, and who see the world the same way you do. And that’s not everyone. Full stop.” – Tamsen Webster, Founder & Chief Message Strategist for Find the Red Thread
- “Marketing is really just about sharing your passion.” — Michael Hyatt, NY Times Best Selling Author
Content marketing quotes to help the creative process
Let’s face it; we all struggle with the creative process at one point or another. That said, here are some of our favorite content marketing quotes to help break us out of our creative slumps:
- “Make your customer the hero of your stories.” – Ann Handley, Chief Content Officer of MarketingProfs
- “Whether it’s B2B or B2C, I believe passionately that good marketing essentials are the same. We are all emotional beings looking for relevance, context, and connection.” – Beth Comstock, Former CMO and GE Vice Chair, author
- “You are like this cup; you are full of ideas. You come and ask for teaching, but your cup is full; I can’t put anything in. Before I can teach you, you’ll have to empty your cup.” – Zen master Ryutan
- “Value doesn’t come from feeding your audience with free tips that everyone else is already saying. You provide value when you’re able to inspire a commitment to change. You add to the content literature in your niche when you have a distinctive point of view. This is also how you build content authority.” – Meera Kothand, Author
- “Perfect isn’t the enemy of good, nor is it the barrier to done. I just think we’re framing the idea all wrong. Aspire to perfection over time, but make sure you’re taking one step forward today.” – Jay Acunzo, Author & Keynote speaker
- “Stories have the power to engage prospects with an emotional hook that endears them to a brand.” Heather Pemberton Levy, Vice President of Content Marketing for Gartner.
- “Take a risk and keep testing, because what works today won’t work tomorrow, but what worked yesterday may work again.” — Amrita Sahasrabudhe, VP Marketing, FastMed Urgent Care
- The creative process is fueled by divergent thinking — a breaking away from familiar or established ways of seeing and doing.” — The Innovator’s Toolkit, Harvard Business Essentials
- “Speak to your audience in their language about what’s in their heart.” — Jonathan Lister, VP Global Sales Solutions, LinkedIn
- “The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon.” — Brandon Sanderson, Author
- “The brands that win are the brands that tell a great story. When it comes to transmedia storytelling, the brands that win are the brands that tell many great stories and are able to connect them all together.” — Mitch Joel, Author & Founder, Six Pixels Group
- “Do what you do so well that they will want to see it again and bring their friends.” — Walt Disney, Co-Founder of The Walt Disney Company
Source: Marketmox Wrap up Content marketing can quickly become a dull day to day process without the right inspiration. If we had to pick from the content marketing quotes above and label them as our favorites, we’d have to choose Walt Disney’s and Tamsen Webster. Once you’ve got your fire burning, make sure your content is following the steps we outlined above:
- Your content should be defining your consumer’s pain points
- Be sure to map out appropriate content that addresses those pain points
- Be sure to align your content to your consumer lifestyle
Ready to move your content to email? Then make sure to check out our guide on how to create a killeremail marketing campaign from scratch!