When your customer receives hundreds of mails every day, it is likely a huge chunk of them hits the trash pile without even being read. The 'trash can' and 'spam filters' are the last place you want your email to end up. How can you ensure your email is read and is acted upon? Here are a few tips to ensure email deliverability success:
- Welcome your readers: Your email should begin with a good welcome message to set the tone of your email and tell your reader what to expect from your email. Why is your customer receiving your message, and how often are they going to hear from you? These are a few factors your welcome message should convey.
- Keep a thorough email list: Clean your email list regularly. Get rid of inactive addresses, unknown users etc.; go for quality addresses versus focusing on the number of contacts in your list.
- Be alert against Spam triggers: Your email subject line and message should be free of Spam triggering words, or your message will be caught in Spam filters.
- Branding is key: Include branding in any communication you send. This helps your reader know and distinguish your email from others they may want to avoid.
- Send relevant messages: Study your customer well. You should be aware of their behavior and preferences and compose your email content based on these. For example: refer to their interests or opinions, or earlier purchases. This increases the chance of your email deliverability.
- Give reader preferences: When sending emails give your reader the right to decide how often they want to hear from you. You can do this by setting preferences; so your readers can tell you which email address to send your emails to, also about what, and how often they would like to receive emails from you.
- Provide unsubscribe options: Your email should be equipped with an easy to view unsubscribe button, preferably at the top of your message. It is indeed worthwhile to make your reader unsubscribe rather than mark you as Spam. No, you don't have to cling on to your readers, for you are in the process of cultivating a genuine, loyal clientele.
The above tips should give you a jump start at ensuring email deliverability. At Delivra, we have experience in all facets of email marketing – from strategy to delivery and metrics. So if you need help creating successful emails that is read consistently, give us a call.